Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Austin's 6 month report


Ok, so my sweet friend Angie always sends out these cute monthly reports of her little one Brooke, and explains all of her latest developments, new interests, etc. Brooke is now 10 months old and too cute!

The reason I mention Angie's monthly email updates is that I felt she had such a great idea! I do try to record Austin's latest and greatest on my blog, but I don't really record the little daily things he's doing. So, I thought I would start...to make sure we have it all on record. Angie, thanks for the idea. And thanks for including me on Brooke's updates!

Here goes...the funniest thing Austin is doing right now is making these little mouth noises. You know when you push your lips together, pucker, and push air out of your lips? The air comes out and your lips make a funny noise as they vibrate against each other? (random thing to try to describe) Well, Baby A makes that noise ALL the time! He loves it! I'm trying my best to get a good video of him doing this. I'll post it when I'm finally able to capture it. He does this when he first wakes up and he's so happy to get his diaper changed and see me, he does it when he's mad or tired and crying, he does it when he's bored, whenever! Everyone who hears it just laughs! I was at Babies R Us yesterday getting some baby food and checking out new car seats, and everyone kept chuckling at him and saying "I have to see that" as they walked toward us to take a look at him. Pretty cute.

He's also sitting up pretty well now, as long as he has the Boppy pillow behind him. He doesn't have to be touching the pillow, but I think he just likes it there for security. He also started reaching out and touching faces when you hold him. He also reaches out for toys and tries to jump in his exersaucer. For Christmas, we got him the "Johnny Jump Up" and at first he didn't really know what to do with it. Well, we tried again today, and he loved it! He was jumping and giggling for quite a while. Love it!

Hmmm, what else? Oh, his little hair is really starting to grow. Still really thin, of course, but enough hair that I have to put a little gel in it to make it tame down a bit. Without the gel he looks like a little baby chick.

Oh, he's also starting to roll over much more than before. He first rolled over way back in September, but he was very inconsistent until now. Now he rolls right over when I put him in his crib, and even prefers to sleep on his tummy. I'm washing sheets quite a bit more these days! We actually swaddled him in the "miracle blanket" right up til last week when he started rolling all the time. I thought it might be a bad idea to keep wrapping his arms up. He's doing great...has only woken up a couple of times in the night. He's been sleeping through the night since 8 weeks old! He also tries to roll over every time I change his diaper now. Pretty darn cute, but a little frustrating too! I just pinch his little cheeks and he giggles and often turns back around.

Finally, he is starting to get pretty vocal. He loves to hear his voice. Cooing, sighing, laughing. Sometimes it's a little too loud! He kind of screams or makes this really high pitched noise. I guess this is pretty normal. Hopefully it's just a stage.

And finally, finally in relation to his health, at his 6 month check up he was 90% for height at 27 3/4", 65% for weight at 18.1 pounds, and 80% for head circumference at 17 3/4". Yup, I think we're goign to have a pretty big boy! He still has his little hemangioma on his right eyebrow (everyone always thinks he has a bump on his head) and he's also still dealing with a blocked tear duct on his right eye, but hopefully both of those problems will go away soon. His doctor says the hemangioma may get bigger, but we are just watching it for now. It's just a benign cyst common in babies. People often call them "strawberries" because they are usually red. Luckily, Baby A's is skin toned.

Ok, I keep forgetting stuff! He is also eating about 2 jars of baby food each day in addition to his formula. He loves it...especially squash and fruit! He's currently sitting in his little Bebe seat, and we hope to move him to his high chair soon. (We are refinishing the high chair Big E was fed in when he was a baby.) I'm thinking we need to get a new car seat soon since he's getting so big, but man! I checked out the prices and it's such an investment to get a new car seat and stroller! Austin is also still drooling all the time and with that and the mouth noises, that kid can go through some bibs! We use about 3 bibs a day due to the spit factor. No teeth yet, but I'm sure they will come soon. So thanks for putting up with me and my Mom post. Ya gotta write these things down or you just forget. I want to cherish every moment with my little man. I thank God each day for allowing me to become a mother. It was a long, tough road, but it was certainly worth the fight. God has answered my prayer and I am ever thankful!

"God is able to do immeasureably more than we could ask or imagine." Ephesians 3:20
Photobucket

No comments: