Sunday, January 25, 2009

Help me decide! Tuesday is the deadline!

Ok, I need the help of my cute Mom friends out there! Yes, I have several things running through my mind today, as usual. Photography classes, what to cook for dinner this week, my mom's birthday dinner we just had at our house with the whole family, the fact that I should be in bed right now because I have to wake up at 5:30 for bootcamp tomorrow...the list goes on. The mind of an ADHD girl can run pretty wild, ya know. Many thoughts during the day and most of them come in bits and pieces. I'm a huge list maker! Anyway, I digress. The whole point of my post is to ask all of you Mom's out there about Mother's Day Out.

So here's the deal...
Big E was very gracious to let me sign Austin up for one day a week for Mother's Day Out until the end of this school year. The program is at our church and he currently attends on Tuesdays from 9-2. I felt it would be a nice break for me to be able to get my hair cut, run errands, do whatever. And I was right! Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with Baby A, but he currently takes 2 long naps during the day, so most days I am a total home body! If you know me even a little bit, that is NOT a good situation for me. I gotta get out, ya know? Of course, I'm totally willing to do whatever is best for my little one, but by the end of the week, I sometimes feel like I've been in a cage. I know that the nap thing does get better as they get older, so hopefully that won't be too many months away.

Moving on, the question is this...this next Tuesday (day after tomorrow) is re-enrollment day for the 2009-2010 school year, and I have to decide if I want to do one day a week or two. Big E was a little reluctant about the two day idea mainly because of the extra expense. I'm not sure if I'm being too selfish by wanting the two day a week plan. ??? Would it be better for his development to go two days a week? Would it be good for his socialization? Would he get bored as he gets a little older if he's always just "hangin' out with Mom"? Another thought is that this extra time might help me explore some ideas I have about a home based business.

I'm just really unsure of what to do. I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that I feel very guilty because I'm no longer earning a pay check and Big E works so hard to take care of our finances. I guess that is probably a feeling many Moms experience. I struggle with not having "my" money. And yes, I do know that all of our finances are jointly owned, but you get the idea.

Ok...I think I'm rambling. Just help me if you can. I'm open to whatever thoughts you have...don't hold back. Once again, to leave a comment, just click on "comments" at the bottom of this post. Just remember, my time to make the final decision is limited. I have to decide by Tuesday morning!

Thanks in advance!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Julie said...

My vote would be 1x/week.

Anonymous said...

My vote would be 2 days, it is not going to hurt Baby A. It will help you not feel so suffocated. But now I was one to be out with my baby all the time.

Tricia Hoffmann said...

I didn't put Trinity in any sort of MDO program until she was 18 months and she is as social as they come. I did do Little Gym and that was a good time. Socialization can be had in play groups, at the mall playground or just out on walks. With my little one going to be 4 in March, and only a year and a half out from kindergarten, I would say enjoy him as much as possible. If you need some time to yourself, head to one of those places like Kiddin' Around or Adventure Kids where it's hourly "playcare". That way, he can be social but on a short term basis of $7 an hour. Sometimes two hours is all you need to feel refreshed from a rough day. Hope that helps!

seeking.senkels said...

Elijah is my first baby that I did not send to MDO as soon as he was old enough. I have missed that time so much. After, you calculate in pick up and drop off time you really only have 4.5 hours, which two days gives you 9. If you can afford it, I say do it. Just because you send your baby to MDO doesn't mean you love your baby less. I think it is very good for them socially.