Let me first say that I am usually SO GOOD at remembering little details and making sure everything is taken care of and that all of the directions are followed down to the most minute detail. Ernest even makes fun of me because I like to read all of the instructions for new things we buy or when we're assembling something new, or when we need to fill out a form, whatever. We are total opposites in this department! Ernest just sort of flies by the seat of his pants.
Except for today....
Today, I followed all of the directions I was given....
No food or milk after 8 am, only water or apple juice.
But the next part was....
No liquids or food of any kind after 12 noon.
So this morning I woke up Austin, fed him a full 8 ounces of formula, then gave him a little cereal and fruit. Fed by 8 am...check.
Then we played and played so he would be totally worn out for his morning nap...check.
Then he went down for his nap around 9:30 and I was totally amazed that he was still sleeping by the time we needed to leave around 12:30. I had to wake him up to get him changed and ready to go. He seemed just fine, no fussiness at all. So, we packed him in the car and headed to the hospital. We were told to be there by 1:00. Once we arrived at the hospital and got all checked in, we sat down to wait for them to call us, and Austin started eyeing the bottle in my bag. Ernest said "uh-oh, it looks like somebody's getting hungry". So I said, "yeah, let's go ahead and give him a little juice while we wait" since I hadn't been able to give him any due to his long nap.
And then the lady behind the check in counter asked "isn't he supposed to be sedated today?"
I said "yes".
She said "he's not supposed to have any..." And the rest was just wah, wah, wah.
I couldn't believe that I had forgotten! Are you kidding me? All this emotion about finally getting the MRI taken care of today just welled up and tears started to form in my eyes. I had totally goofed. It was already about 1:20 by then, so of course I wasn't supposed to feed him anything at all!
Then I heard the lady behind the counter say "I'll have one of the nurses come out to speak with you." Great. I was so bummed. I just wanted to get it over and done with. So the nurse came out and said we would have to reschedule because now that he has a little bit of fluid in his system there is a chance he could choke during sedation. She said the reschedule was a safety precaution. So of course, we rescheduled, much to my dismay.
So as we were packing everything up and getting Austin ready to go in his stroller a thought came to me...maybe this wasn't meant to be today. Maybe this is God's way of protecting us from something? And the next thing I heard was my Mom saying the very same thing. Hmmm. Makes you wonder.
So now we are rescheduled for Monday May 11. Austin will be 10 months on that exact day. I thank you all so much for your prayers and concern. Could you please think of us again on the 11th?
We would sure appreciate it.

No comments:
Post a Comment